VEGAN ESPRESSO, MAPLE AND WALNUT CAKES WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
In this recipe you can use any nuts you like – hazelnuts or pecans would work beautifully. If you don't want to use real espresso, you can make a very strong cup of instant coffee instead.
MAKES 10 MINI CAKES
FOR THE CAKES
250g white all-purpose flour
120g coconut sugar
125g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp maple syrup
½ cup / 125ml strong coffee or espresso, cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup / 120ml light olive oil
½ cup / 130g unsweetened coconut yoghurt
70g toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
60g white all-purpose flour
60g rolled oats
2 tbsp light olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
30g toasted walnuts, finely chopped
Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan bake. Place muffin liners in 10 holes of a large muffin tray, or grease them very well.
- First, make the streusel topping. Combine all the streusel ingredients in a bowl, and mix well until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine the flour, coconut sugar, ground almonds and baking powder. Gradually add in the maple syrup, cool coffee, vanilla and oil. Finally, fold through the coconut yoghurt and chopped walnuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin holes. Scatter over the streusel topping evenly. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve warm with a dollop of coconut yoghurt.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days.