THE CAKER X SHISEIDO ORANGE AND BLACKBERRY CAKE WITH ORANGE BLOSSOM ICING AND ROSES
This classic cake is perfect for any time of day because it’s light, wholesome and not too sweet. I often eat it for breakfast! It contains whole puréed oranges and a generous helping of ground almonds to replace any flour. The large, tart blackberries jewelled throughout offer a juicy surprise with every bite.
FOR THE CAKE
2 large whole oranges
3 organic eggs
220g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g ground almonds
1½ tsp baking powder
160g fresh or frozen blackberries
FOR THE ORANGE BLOSSOM CREAM CHEESE ICING
300g butter, softened
4 cups icing sugar
200g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp orange blossom water
Freeze dried blackberries (Fresh As)
Dried rose petals
- Boil the oranges in a covered saucepan for 2 hours. Make sure to keep topping up the water as it evaporates.
- Once cooled, cut the oranges in half, remove any pips and chop into rough segments, including the rind. Blend until puréed.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC fan bake. Grease and line 2 x 22cm cake tins.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale and thick.
- Fold through the ground almonds and baking powder, alternating with the puréed oranges.
- Divide the batter between the 2 cake tins and evenly dot in the blackberries.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese icing: in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter by itself until smooth. Add the icing sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add the cream cheese, followed by the vanilla. The icing should be smooth, creamy and thick. Finally, fold through the orange blossom water.
- Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, ice one layer with the cream cheese icing and place the other on top. Decorate with crushed freeze dried blackberries, dried rose petals, Turkish Delight and fresh roses.
- Serve at room temperature with Greek yogurt or mascarpone.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.