SUMMERY STRAWBERRY AND PLUM BUNDT CAKE WITH RASPBERRY GLAZE AND CHELSEA RAW SUGAR
Now that the warmer days are finally upon us, I thought it timely to share with you one of my favourite summer cake recipes, which is packed full of two of my absolute favourite fruits - strawberries and plums. These two together happen to make a harmonious marriage especially when baked into a spelt and almond sponge made with beautiful caramel tasting raw sugar thanks to Chelsea Sugar. This cake smells exquisite when it's in the oven, and tastes just as good. It's a very moist cake and is perfection served warm with cream or yogurt. I love the slight crunch that the final sprinkling of raw sugar lends to each bite.
FOR THE CAKE
180g butter, softened
150g Chelsea Raw Sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 organic eggs
200g spelt flour
50g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
170ml greek yogurt
2 ripe plums, segmented
6 strawberries, washed and hulled and halved
FOR THE RASPBERRY GLAZE
Raspberry apricot glaze:
150g fresh or frozen raspberries
140g apricot jam
fresh strawberry slices
1 tbs raw sugar for sprinkling
crushed pistachios for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base of a 22cm tin with baking paper and grease the sides of it very well.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the raw butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale, light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and soda, followed by the yogurt. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour into the cake tin and dot in the plum segments and strawberry halves.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8 minutes, stirring continuously. Take off the heat and drizzle onto the cake while it is still warm.
- Decorate with fresh strawberry slices, raw sugar and pistachios.
- Serve warm!
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days