LEMON AND LAVENDER COOKIES
These little shortbread cookies are delicately flavoured with lemon zest and dried lavender petals and are a perfect accompaniment to a cup of Earl Grey tea in winter or in summer.
MAKES 18 SMALL DIAMOND SHAPED COOKIES
120g butter, softened
45g golden unrefined icing sugar
150g unbleached stoneground flour
zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
2 tsp dried lavender petals
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp golden unrefined caster sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, zest, lavender and sea salt, and combine until it just comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough to a 0.5cm thickness. With a sharp knife, cut out diamond shapes or any shape you like (you can also use a cookie cutter).
- Place on the baking sheets approximately 2cm apart. Sprinkle with some golden sugar.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until just golden around the edges. Let the cookies cool and firm on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container or cookie jar in a cool, dry place for up to one week.