GLUTEN-FREE LEMON AND LIME CAKES WITH ORANGE BLOSSOM SYRUP
This is a recipe you should memorise because it's so simple and easy to adapt.
FOR THE CAKES
200g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 organic eggs
200g ground almonds
50g buckwheat flour
zest and juice of 1 large lemon
zest and juice of 1 large lime
FOR THE ORANGE BLOSSOM SYRUP
3 tbsp orange blossom water
3 tbsp water
4 tbsp honey
12 cubes Turkish delight, cut into quarters
freshly grated lime and/or lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 175C fan bake. Grease 12 holes of a friand or regular cupcake tray. It pays to line the base of each with an oval of baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add vanilla and then eggs, one at a time, beating between each. Add ground almonds and flour until combined. Fold through the citrus zest and juice. Stop electric mixer once all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter between friand holes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a rack.
- Meanwhile, make the orange blossom syrup. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat for 20 minutes until mixture has thickened and reduced. Once cakes are cool, spoon some syrup onto each.
- Top with cubes of Turkish Delight. Serve immediately with Greek yoghurt or mascarpone. Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 days.