VEGAN SPICED PUMPKIN CAKES IN COLLABORATION WITH KENWOOD
FOR THE CAKES
1½ cups unsweetened pumpkin purée (Jordan recommends ‘Libby’s’ which you can buy from most supermarkets)
¾ cup maple syrup
6 tbsp light olive oil
1 large ripe banana, mashed
200g spelt flour, or plain flour
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch sea salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
TO TOP WITH:
1/2 cup un-toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Place 12 papers in the holes of a cupcake tray.
- In a food processor, blend together the pumpkin purée, the maple syrup, olive oil and banana, until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl, and sift in the flour, spices, raising agents and salt. Combine together until everything is well mixed.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix in quickly.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake holes and sprinkle over the coconut flakes, pressing them down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre of one comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Tip: Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 days.