VEGAN DARK CHOCOLATE AND BLUEBERRY CAKES
You won’t believe how rich and decadent these cakes are – and they are completely vegan. They are almost black in colour and have the most luxurious, velvety texture. Make sure you use the best quality cocoa powder you can find as it will really make a difference. Instead of blueberries you could use any berry, or omit altogether.
MAKES 9 LARGE CUPCAKES
140g white all-purpose flour
130g Dutch-process cocoa powder
125g light muscovado or coconut sugar
2tsp baking powder
Pinch sea salt
400ml/1⅔ cups coconut cream
1tsp vanilla extract
⅓ cup light olive oil
80g dark chocolate chips (70% cocoa solids)
150g blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease 9 holes of a muffin/cupcake tray very well, or use papers if you prefer.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine all the dry ingredients.
- Gradually mix in the coconut cream, vanilla, oil and chocolate chips, being careful not to overdo it.
- Divide the batter between the muffin holes and evenly scatter over the blueberries, pressing them down lightly.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve slightly warm.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to three days.