TRIPLE BERRY BUNDT CAKE
Any variety of summer berries are welcome in this recipe. I used a bundt tin so that the cake looks like a Christmas wreath, but also so that I could pack as much fruit into the batter and be sure that it would still bake through. The almond butter icing adds a delicate sweetness, but use more honey or maple if you please.
For the cake
85g almond butter
115g butter, softened
150g soft brown or light muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free range eggs
100g all purpose white or spelt flour
100g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 cup milk of your choice
1⁄2 cup of fresh or frozen raspberries
1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen blackcurrants
For the icing
1⁄2 cup cream cheese
1⁄2 cup almond butter
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
For the decorations
Fresh strawberries, sliced
Handful pomegranate arils
Fresh flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C on fan bake. Grease the sides of a 20cm bundt tin very well and line the base with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the almond butter, butter, sugar and vanilla extract until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Gradually add in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Finally add in the milk and stop your electric mixer once it is just combined.
- By hand, fold through all the berries.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the almond butter icing. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese by itself until smooth. Continue to add the almond butter, vanilla and honey or maple syrup and stop once completely smooth.
- Once the cake is cool, ice the top of it and scatter over strawberry slices and pomegranate arils. Decorate with fresh flowers if desired.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.