Tahini cookies with strawberry glaze
I have been baking with tahini a lot lately because I just love the creamy texture and depth of flavour that it lends. These cookies are the perfect balance of crunchy and chewy and work so well with a bright strawberry glaze drizzled on top.
For the cookies:
100g butter, softened
150g light muscovado, coconut or soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
125g plain all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch fine sea salt
125g (1⁄2 cup) tahini
1 tsp flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
For the topping:
110g icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
2 tsp freeze-dried strawberry powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and add vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Next, gradually add the flour, baking soda and salt, and mix until just combined. Add the tahini and beat again until the dough comes together.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop mounds of the cookie dough onto the lined trays, leaving about 5cm between them to spread.
- Sprinkle the flaky sea salt over each cookie, then bake for 8–12 minutes, until the edges are golden.
- Leave the cookies to cool and firm up on the trays, then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining all the ingredients. It should be runny enough to slowly drizzle over the cookies.
- While still laid out on the cooling racks, use a fork to drizzle the glaze over the cookies.
- Place the cookies in the fridge to allow the glaze to set. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.