STRAWBERRY TAHINI MAPLE CAKE
Our front of house angel Claudia’s go to breakfast is tahini and strawberry jam on toast, a killer combo I had never tried myself until now. The tahini pairs so well with the subtle sweetness of the strawberries. Frozen strawberries are available in most supermarkets and work just as well at this time of the year.
FOR THE CAKE
100g hulled tahini
100g light muscovado, coconut or soft brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free-range eggs
100g ground almonds
100g spelt or regular flour
2 tsp baking powder
Generous pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup unsweetened full-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
FOR THE TAHINI GLAZE
3 tbsp hulled tahini
1 tbsp maple syrup
3-4 tbsp boiling water
Pinch sea salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
4 tbsp good quality strawberry jam
2 tbsp Sesame seeds, toasted
Fresh strawberries (if in season)
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake. Line 2x22cm tins with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, tahini and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time, followed by the maple syrup.
- In 2 parts, mix in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Finally add the yogurt. Stop your electric mixer once all of the ingredients are combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 2 tins and spread out to the sides. Dot in the strawberries and press each down lightly.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl make the glaze. Mix together the tahini, maple syrup and enough water to get the glaze to a drizzling consistency.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread the strawberry jam evenly over the one layer and drizzle over half of the tahini glaze. Place the other layer on top and drizzle over the rest of the glaze. Decorate with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.