SPICED DIAMOND COOKIES
These generously spiced, buttery cookies are just perfection dipped into coffee. You can make them any shape you like, but the diamonds are super easy to prepare. I like to make plenty of this dough and freeze it, ready to cut up and bake whenever I'm in need of cookies!
MAKES ABOUT 18
120g butter, softened
50g icing sugar
150g plain flour or spelt flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp coconut sugar or Demerara sugar for sprinkling
A few pinches of sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour and spices and combine, being careful not to over-mix. Mix it just enough for a dough to form. It should be soft, but not sticky.
- Lay a length of plastic wrap on the bench, and place the cookie dough on top. Place another length of plastic wrap over the dough, then roll it out with a rolling pin until 1/2cm thick. Try to make a square or rectangle shape.
- Place the flat sheet of cookie dough on a baking tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unwrap the chilled dough and place on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife cut it into diamonds, and place each one on the lined tray. Sprinkle with sugar and sea salt.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool and firm up on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container or cookie jar for up to a week.