SALTED TRIPLE CHOCOLATE AND CHILLI COOKIES
Everyone knows that chilli and chocolate, as well as salt and chocolate, are unbeatable partnerships – these cookies have all of that going on. Do try to source the best cocoa powder you can as it will make all the difference to the richness and intensity of the final product.
FOR THE COOKIES
200g butter, softened
50g soft brown sugar
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
180g spelt or regular flour
1 tsp baking powder
Generous pinch flaky sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp dried chilli flakes, plus extra for sprinkling
120g 70 per cent dark chocolate buttons
FOR THE GANACHE
50g dark chocolate buttons (70 per cent cocoa solids)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and chilli flakes. By hand, fold in the chocolate chips. The dough should hold together when pressed but will be quite wet.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a tablespoon, place walnut sized mounds of cookie dough on the baking tray, at least 3cm apart to allow them to spread. Sprinkle each one with some more sea salt.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until browned. Leave them on the tray to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Heat the cream in a saucepan until small bubbles start to appear on the surface. Take off the heat and drop in the chocolate. Stir until it is melted; the ganache should be thick, smooth and glossy.
- Once the cookies are cool, use a fork to drizzle ganache over them. Sprinkle over some chilli flakes. Place the tray in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the ganache to set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.