PEANUT BUTTER AND JAM CAKE
Here's a peanut butter and jam sandwich – in cake form. You can use smooth or crunchy peanut butter but for best results use a good-quality, natural one.
FOR THE CAKE
50g good quality, natural, salted peanut butter
100g butter, softened
150g light muscovado sugar or coconut sugar (or regular soft brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 organic eggs
100g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup whole milk
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
FOR THE ICING
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup good-quality, natural, salted peanut butter
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup icing sugar
FOR THE FILLING
good-quality, low-sugar raspberry jam (store bought)
whole freeze-dried raspberries
- Preheat oven to 175C fan bake. Grease and line 2 x 22cm cake tins.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat peanut butter and butter until pale, light and fluffy. Keep beating while you add sugar. Add vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time until well combined. Fold through ground almonds.
- Sift in flour and add baking powder and mix until just combined, and then add the milk. Do not over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two tins and dot with raspberries. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
- Meanwhile, make peanut butter icing. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Once cakes are cool, spread a layer of raspberry jam onto one cake and place the other, flipped upside down, on top to form a sandwich. Ice cake and decorate with freeze-dried raspberries.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.