ORANGE AND THYME CAKE WITH HONEY THYME SYRUP
This is a rustic, homey, non-fuss and pretty much fail proof ground almond cake recipe. I love the way the orange and thyme marry.
MAKES 2 MINI LOAF TINS, OR ONE NORMAL SIZED ONE.
FOR THE CAKE
2 cups ground almonds
3 organic eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp baking soda
zest of one unwaxed orange
3 tsp fresh thyme leaves
FOR THYME HONEY SYRUP
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
TO TOP WITH
100g crème fraîche
fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan bake. Line 2 x mini loaf tins (mine measure at 23cm x 8cm) or one standard sized one with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the tin/s and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cake/s to cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup: In a saucepan, warm honey and water until fragrant and the honey just begins to bubble. Add thyme, remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Discard thyme and let syrup cool to room temperature.
- Once the cakes are cool, pipe some little dollops of crème fraîche onto them and drizzle with some of the syrup. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.