MULTI-LAYER, MULTI-FILLING CAKE
I love the concept of this cake because you can really adapt it to suit your preferences.
For the cake
300g butter, softened
300g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 free range eggs
300g spelt, or white all-purpose flour
100g ground almonds
4 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 cup Greek yoghurt
For in-between the layers
4 tbsp Nutella
4 tbsp good quality apricot jam
4 tbsp almond butter
For the topping
4 tbsp Nutella
1 tbsp good quality apricot jam
1 tbsp peanut or almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Line four x 22cm tins with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time.
- In two parts, mix in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Finally add the yoghurt. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the four tins and spread out to the sides.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread a layer of Nutella onto one of the layers. Place the second layer directly on top and spread a layer of apricot jam onto it. Place the third layer on top and spread the almond butter onto it, and then place the final layer on top.
- Finally, in whatever way you desire, decorate the cake with the remaining fillings. You could pipe, smear, drizzle or dollop them on (I covered the whole cake with Nutella and then piped on dollops of apricot jam and almond butter).
- Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.