HONEY POPPY SEED BITES
These little muffins are super light and only subtly sweet, making them perfect for breakfast!
MAKES 18 MINI MUFFINS
FOR THE MUFFINS
250g ground almonds
Pinch sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp poppy seeds
100g butter, melted
2 free-range eggs
1⁄3 cup runny honey
FOR THE HONEY CREAM CHEESE ICING
300g cream cheese
3 tbsp runny honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE DECORATIONS
Fresh flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan-bake. Grease 18 holes of a mini muffin/cupcake tray very well, or use papers if you prefer.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the ground almonds, salt, baking soda and poppy seeds.
- Gradually mix in the melted butter, eggs and honey.
- Evenly divide the batter between the holes.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until golden in colour and springy to the touch.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the tray, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the honey cream cheese icing. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese by itself until completely smooth. Gradually add the honey and vanilla and continue to beat on high for about 3 minutes.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, use a piping bag or snaplock bag with a corner cut off to pipe some icing onto each one. Decorate with fresh flowers if using.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.