Honey Cardamom Pie
I had a slice of honey pie recently and I was so enamoured with it that I immediately went to bake one of my own. This recipe is adapted from Nigella Lawson. I love the simplicity, yet complexity of flavour of this pie - it’s salty, sweet, rich and light all at once.
For the pastry
200g plain all-purpose white flour
½ tsp fine sea salt
110ml light olive oil
55ml full fat milk
For the filling
100g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
15g ground almonds
1 tsp flaky sea salt
3 free-range eggs
175ml / ½ cup good quality runny honey
150ml / ⅔ cup double cream
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Generous pinch of flaky sea salt
Dollop of thickened cream or creme fraiche
- Grease a 25cm deep sided loose bottomed tart tin very well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, salt, oil and milk to form a rough, slightly damp dough.
- Tip the dough into the tin and press it over the base and up the sides of the tin until it’s an even thickness - try to get it as thin as possible, especially on the base, don’t use all the pastry if it’s feeling too thick. Place into the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and place in a baking tray at the same time.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then take it off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooled melted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat in the sugar, vanilla, ground almonds and flaky salt.
- Next, beat in the eggs one by one. Finally, mix in the honey, cream and vinegar.
- Take the pastry-lined tin out of the freezer and pour the honey filling into it.
- Place the pie onto the hot baking tray and bake for approximately 50 minutes, rotating it after 30 minutes. When it's ready, the filling will feel puffy but set and will be a dark golden colour.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before placing onto a cooling rack (still in the tin). Place in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Take the pie out of its tin and place onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with a little more flaky salt.
- Serve with clotted cream or creme fraiche.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.