GLUTEN-FREE WHITE CHOCOLATE & BALSAMIC VINEGAR ROASTED STRAWBERRY CAKE
Strawberries, white chocolate and balsamic are a trio that satisfy the taste buds in every which way.
For the cake:
500g strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
3 tsp balsamic vinegar glaze (store bought)
200g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
4 organic eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g ground almonds
50g buckwheat or other gluten free flour of your choice
Pinch sea salt
50g white chocolate buttons
For the cream cheese icing:
150g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
100g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp balsamic vinegar glaze (store bought)
fresh flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC fan bake. Line a baking tray and 2 x 22cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Place the strawberry halves on the baking tray and drizzle over 3 tsp of balsamic vinegar glaze and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Once caramelised and gooey, take out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cake. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla.
- Gradually fold in the ground almonds, flour and salt. Finally, fold through the white chocolate buttons.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 2 tins and spread out to the sides.
- Dot about 15-20 roasted strawberry halves into each layer and press down lightly. Set the remaining strawberries aside to use as decoration.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. The cakes are ready when golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter by itself until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and beat on high until seriously light and fluffy. Gradually add the cream cheese, followed by the vanilla. The icing should be smooth, creamy and thick.
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, ice one layer and then place the second layer directly on top.
- Neatly ice the top of the cake and decorate with the remaining roasted strawberry halves and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze.
- Finish with some fresh flowers, if using. Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days in an airtight container.