GLUTEN-FREE BUCKWHEAT, HONEY, RASPBERRY & ROSE WATER CAKE WITH CREAM
A favourite recipe straight from my new recipe book - The Caker - Wholesome Cakes, Cookies and Desserts. A deliciously unfussy and light cake with a lovely moist texture. Because of the honey in this cake, it gets quite brown quickly, so just keep an eye on it.
FOR THE CAKE
200g/7.1oz butter, softened
100g/3.5oz ground almonds
3 organic eggs
100g/3.5oz buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
200ml runny honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp rose water
130g/4.6oz fresh or frozen raspberries
FOR THE CREAM ICING
200ml fresh cream
1 Tbsp Greek yoghurt
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp rose water
1 tsp vanilla extract
fresh or dried rose petals
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake. Line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until pale, light and fluffy. And the ground almonds and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Gradually add in the flour and baking powder.
- Fold in the honey, vanilla and rose water, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the tin and dot in the raspberries, pressing down lightly with a spoon.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for around 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the cream icing. Whip the cream with an electric beater to ribbon consistency, gently fold through the yoghurt, honey, rose water and vanilla.
- Once the cake is cool, apply a generous amount of the cream icing to the top of the cake and top with some rose petals and raspberries.