GLUTEN-FREE AND VEGAN BANANA COCOA BREAKFAST LOAF
Here is my Cocoa Banana Breakfast Loaf! Perfect on its own, outrageously good adorned with toppings, anytime of day! This is the kind of baking that you can eat at breakfast and genuinely feel good about it. It’s also super adaptable, so if you don’t need it to be gluten free or vegan, use regular flour and regular dairy - it will be just as delicious. Cut the loaf into thick slices and serve warm with coconut yoghurt and jam, fresh banana and nut butter, or simply by itself.
FOR THE LOAF
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp of salt
100g ground almonds
60g cocoa powder
70g buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 170C and line a loaf tin (approx 22cm x 10cm) with baking paper.
- Blend together the bananas, maple, almond milk, vanilla and olive oil in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour this wet mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and gradually add in the salt, ground almonds, cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and soda. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool in its tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- When the loaf is completely cool, place on a board and cut into thick slices. Serve as desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.