DARK CHOCOLATE MACAROONS WITH STRAWBERRY DUST
Macaroons, not to be confused with macarons, are one of my favourite types of cookie. They consist mostly of coconut, aren't overly sweet and have a lovely crumbly texture. When they're dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with freeze-dried strawberry powder, these become next-level treats.
MAKES 15 MACAROONS
3 cups fine desiccated coconut
⅓ cup caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
whites from 3 large organic eggs
1 cup 70% dark chocolate chips
10g Fresh-As strawberry powder (available from gourmet grocers)
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar, vanilla, salt and egg whites. Use your hands to form balls (about the size of golf balls) and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool before transferring to a rack.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate. Place chips in a small bowl over a small pot of boiling water. Stir until completely melted.
- Dip base of each macaroon into melted chocolate and place directly on the lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, until chocolate has set completely.
- Finally, dust with the strawberry powder using a fine mesh sieve. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.