CRUSHED RASPBERRY MERINGUE TOPPING
Adapted from Ottolenghi
150g Egg Whites
300g Caster Sugar
2 tspn freeze-dried raspberry powder (or any other fruit powder you like)
- Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees fan bake.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle the sugar in an even layer. Pop in the oven for 4 minutes or until warm, but not melted.
- Meanwhile, place your egg whites in your electric mixer. Start beating on high when your sugar is ready.
- Take the sugar out of the oven and gradually add it to your egg whites. You want your meringue to become smooth, glossy and double in size.
- When it has cooled in the mixer and is the desired consistency, beat in the fruit powder.
- With a piping bag, pipe the meringues into 1 inch rounds (the perfect size if you want to crush them), and bake for about 1 hour at 110 degrees, or until crunchy.
- Turn the oven off and leave them in the oven to dry out a bit longer, if you are wanting to crush them up, otherwise if you take them out they will still have a slightly chewy centre.
- Crush onto your cakes for a burst of colour and flavour.