CITRUS SANDWICH COOKIES
This recipe for these delicate, buttery cookies is so simple and, as are most of my recipes, really adaptable. Instead of the citrus zest, you could use any spices you like, and instead of the lemon curd, use jam or ganache.
MAKES 10 SANDWICH COOKIES
240g butter, softened
100g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one lime
Zest of one orange
Generous pinch sea salt for sprinkling
½ cup good quality lemon curd for in-between
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add in the flour and zests and combine, being careful not to over mix. Mix it just enough for a dough to form. It should be soft, but not sticky.
- Lay a length of plastic wrap on the bench, and place the cookie dough on top. Place another length of plastic wrap over the dough, then roll it out with a rolling pin until ½cm thick. Place the flat sheet of cookie dough on a baking tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unwrap the chilled dough and place on a chopping board. Using a circular cookie cutter (about 6cm in diameter) cut out 20 circles, and place each one on the lined tray. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool and firm up on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To assemble, spread a teaspoon of lemon curd onto one cooled cookie, and place another on top to form a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining cookies until you have 10 sandwiches.
- Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container or cookie jar for up to 3 days.