CITRUS OLIVE OIL PISTACHIO CAKE
I love the fresh, green flavour of olive oil in this cake - it complements the citrus and pistachios so well and creates a lovely moist texture. Be careful when blitzing your pistachios to not create a nut butter!
FOR THE CAKE
130g raw pistachios
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
260g caster sugar
2 oranges, zested and juiced
2 lemons, zested and juiced
130g melted butter, cooled
160g extra virgin olive oil
130g ground almonds
100g all purpose white or spelt flour
65g fine polenta
1⅓ tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine salt
FOR THE ICING
150g butter, softened
220g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g cream cheese, room temperature
For the decorations
A handful of chopped pistachios
1 fresh lemon, peeled and cut into small triangular segments (or use freeze-dried lemon)
3 tbsp good quality store bought lemon curd
Fresh or dried rose petals (optional)
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake. Line 2 x 22cm cake pan with baking paper.
- In a food processor, blitz the pistachios with 3 tbsp of caster sugar until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar and zests until pale and thick. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and olive oil to emulsify.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, including the blitzed pistachios in a bowl.
- By hand, gently fold in ⅓ of the dry ingredients, followed by a ⅓ of the citrus juice. Continue this pattern until all of your ingredients are incorporated.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 2 prepared tins and spread out to the sides.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, or until lightly golden, springy to the touch and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the butter by itself until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and beat on high until seriously light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, then gradually add the cream cheese. Do not overdo this step.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, ice one layer. Place the second layer on top and neatly ice it.
- Decorate with smears of lemon curd, a scattering of pistachios and rose petals, and a few segments of fresh lemon.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.