BANANA, HONEY, RASPBERRY CAKE WITH ALMOND BUTTER ICING IN COLLABORATION WITH 1839 HONEY
When I was asked to create a cake recipe using 1839 Honey, it was a no brainer to say yes. I LOVE baking with honey because it imparts a delicate sweetness and floral flavour that you can’t get from cane sugar. Of course it’s even better when the honey you’re using is next level good, which is precisely how I described 1839 Honey when I licked it off my finger for the first time.
FOR THE CAKE
125g butter, softened
125g 1839 Mānuka Honey (UMF 5+)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 free-range eggs
4 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 400g)
50g ground almonds
125g plain or spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
FOR THE ALMOND BUTTER ICING
150g cream cheese
75g almond butter
4 tbsp 1839 Raw Mānuka Bend Honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
FOR THE DECORATIONS
2 tbsp 1839 Multi Floral Honey (MGO 48+)
Handful freeze-dried raspberries
Fresh edible flowers (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan bake. Line 2x22cm tins with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the softened butter, honey and vanilla and beat on high until smooth and thick.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time and mix. Follow with the mashed banana and mix until well combined.
- In 2 parts add in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 2 tins and spread out to the sides. Dot in the raspberries and press them down lightly.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and then add the almond butter, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Mix until completely smooth.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread half of the almond butter icing evenly over one of the layers and place the other layer on top. Neatly Ice the top of the cake with the remainder of the icing and decorate with a generous drizzle of honey, some freeze-dried raspberries and edible flowers if using.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.