BAKLAVA CAKE WITH HONEY MASCARPONE ICING
I have always loved the delicate flavours and textures in baklava, so was excited to incorporate these elements into a cake. The honey mascarpone icing is the perfect accompaniment.
FOR THE CAKE
200g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
4 organic eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
100g ground almonds
100g finely chopped walnuts
FOR THE HONEY MASCARPONE ICING
½ tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE DECORATIONS
20g finely chopped pistachios
Handful dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan bake. Line a 22cm cake tin with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla. Gradually fold in the flour and ground almonds and mix until just combined. Finally fold through the finely chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and spread out to the edges.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. The cake is ready when it is golden in colour, springy to the touch, and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the honey mascarpone icing. Combine all ingredients until well incorporated and smooth.
- Once the cake is fully cool, apply a generous layer of the icing and decorate with a scattering of pistachios and rose petals. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.