APRICOT BELLINI BABY CAKES
As we all know, cake and fizz are best friends, and it's good to know that this effervescent, golden miracle of a beverage is a wonderful ingredient to bake with, as well as drink. These baby cakes are, of course, best served with a flute of prosecco.
MAKES ABOUT 30 BABY CAKES
FOR THE CAKE
6 ripe apricots, stones removed and cut into 1cm cubes
120g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free-range egg whites
150g white all-purpose flour
50g ground almonds
1½ tsp baking powder
Pinch sea salt
250ml / 1 cup prosecco, at room temp
FOR THE PROSECCO ICING
150g butter, softened
200g icing sugar
2 tbsp prosecco, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE DECORATIONS
3 tbsp apricot puree
handful fresh or dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan bake. Grease 30 holes of a mini muffin / baby cake tray/s very well.
- Place the apricot pieces onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes until soft and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and then the egg whites, one at a time.
- In 2 alternate additions, add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt into the mixture, along with the prosecco. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are combined, do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 30 baby cake holes. Dot one apricot cube into each baby cake (reserving the remainder to make a puree with) and press them down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden in colour and springy to the touch. Allow the cakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the prosecco icing: in the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter and icing sugar. Gradually add in the prosecco and vanilla and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cakes are fully cooled, pipe some icing onto each one using a piping bag or a resealable bag with one corner cut off.
- Place the remaining apricot cubes into a food processor or smoothie maker and blitz until completely smooth. Drizzle the puree over the iced baby cakes and then decorate with rose petals.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.